Fruits Basket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New lesson #2 (Basic Lesson - First meetings and introductio

2 posters

Go down

New lesson #2 (Basic Lesson - First meetings and introductio Empty New lesson #2 (Basic Lesson - First meetings and introductio

Post  Nyuka Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:55 pm

'watashi' and 'anata' are avoided as much a possible. They always plaster 'wa' behind it.
+
I explained the numbers once, remember? I found the exceptions - as promised - they are listen at the bottom

Hajimeru (to begin -verb-)
Hajimemashite
How do you do? (when you meet for the first time)

Douzo yoroshiku
Nice to meet you (when you introduce yourself and when you ask for a favor)

When it's with family or close friends, you address each other on a casual way, with your first name.
When it's with a business trip or with just business, you address each other on a formal way, with your last name.

-----------------
What country are you from?
Okuni wa dochira desu ka.
'dochira' and 'doko' both mean 'where', 'doko' is less formal.

I'm from Japan.
Nihon kara desu.
(I know how to write it in characters, so if you want to know, let me know)

I'm from England.
Igirisu kara desu.
(I know how to write it in characters, so if you want to know, let me know)

SHOPPING
Conversation:
x Irasshaimase!

Welcome!/May I help you? (you indicate the last meaning)
o Kore wa nan desu ka.
What is this?
x Sore wa obi desu.
That is an obi. (kimono sash)
o Ikura desu ka.
How much is it?
x Gosen en desu.
It is 5000 yes.
o Sore wa ikure desu ka.
How much is that?
x Nisen gohyaku en desu.
It is 2500 yen.
o Ja, sore o kudasai.
Well then, please give me that one.

Irasshaimase
Welcome (when greeting customers in stores and restaurants, you are not supposed/expected to answer)

Ikura
How much

Kudasai
Please give me (followed with 'o' -object marker, will be explained in a different lesson-)

kore: this (near the speaker)
sore: that (near the person spoken to)
English only has these two, Japanese knows another, a third, indicator:
are: that over there (not near either person)

Change a 'what-question' into an answer:
x Kore wa nan desu ka.
o Sore wa obi desu.

You have to change the 'kore' to your own situation, take off the 'ka' (it's not a question) and exchange 'nan'' for the answer, in this case 'obi'.

WORKING WITH PRICES....#$%^&*?
Because yen has a different value then our euro, things like 5000 sound very normal for an obi. The numbers in the 100 and 1000:
(I KNOW I EXPLAINED THE NUMBERS BEFORE, BUT I FOUND THE EXCEPTIONS!! XD XD XD)
(i have them all in Japanese writing, let me know if you want to know)
underlined = an exception
100 = hyaku
200 = nihyaku
300 = sanbyaku
400 = yonhyaku
500 = gohyaku
600 = roppyaku
700 = nanahyaku
800 = happyaku
900 = kyuuhyaku

150 = hyaku go juu

1000 = sen
2000 = nisen
3000 = sanzen
4000 = yonsen
5000 = gosen
6000 = rokusen
7000 = nanasen
8000 = hassen
9000 = kyuusen

1500 = sen gohyaku

Why are there exceptions? Simply because of pronunciation. 'Sanzen' sounds better then 'Sansen', the same with 'Hachisen'.
Nyuka
Nyuka
Junishi
Junishi

Female Number of posts : 657
Registration date : 2007-05-18

http://www.websitemaker.kennisnet.nl/thedragonship

Back to top Go down

New lesson #2 (Basic Lesson - First meetings and introductio Empty Re: New lesson #2 (Basic Lesson - First meetings and introductio

Post  Smurfje Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:33 pm

Ehm...please tell me if I understood this in the wrong way but...

If you add "desu ka" to the end of a sentence, do you make then from the sentence a question? I mean, if you add "ne" to it, it also becomes a question, so I figured, "desu ka" would do the same XD

I often hear "nan desu ka?" in Naruto in stead of "Kore wa nan desu ka?". Does this mean something different? o.O

I thought kudasai ment "minute"...'cause Naruto always says: "chotto matte kudasai!!!" which is translated as: "wait a minute"...so I figured it ment "minute" XD
Smurfje
Smurfje
Friend
Friend

Female Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2007-05-22

Back to top Go down

New lesson #2 (Basic Lesson - First meetings and introductio Empty Re: New lesson #2 (Basic Lesson - First meetings and introductio

Post  Nyuka Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:33 pm

Smurfje wrote:Ehm...please tell me if I understood this in the wrong way but...

If you add "desu ka" to the end of a sentence, do you make then from the sentence a question? I mean, if you add "ne" to it, it also becomes a question, so I figured, "desu ka" would do the same XD

I often hear "nan desu ka?" in Naruto in stead of "Kore wa nan desu ka?". Does this mean something different? o.O

I thought kudasai ment "minute"...'cause Naruto always says: "chotto matte kudasai!!!" which is translated as: "wait a minute"...so I figured it ment "minute" XD
XD Lol.. Erm..
I think you haven't read it right XD It becomes a question when 'ka' is added. Not 'desu'. The meaning of 'desu' will be explained in a different lesson ^^ So don't worry about that ^__~.

as for the 'nan desu ka?' and 'Kore wa nan desu ka.' I suppose it's just a familiarity. You might've noticed before but, Naruto has a bit of an accent XD He tends to leave parts of words away or entire words even. It means the same thing if you were wondering.

'Kudasai' defenitely does not mean 'minute'. Nu-uh.. no way.. forget that completely XD~!! okies? ^o^...
It could also be translated as: 'Wait for a bit please!'

Hope it was clear ^^ Do not be afraid to ask again.
Nyuka
Nyuka
Junishi
Junishi

Female Number of posts : 657
Registration date : 2007-05-18

http://www.websitemaker.kennisnet.nl/thedragonship

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down